8th Annual TUFF Ready to Roll Out Silent Films across Canada
September 5 – 15, 2014
The Toronto Urban Film Festival (TUFF) North America’s largest commuter film festival, is ready to roll out some of the world’s best one-minute silent films to millions of viewers across Canada from September 5th to 15th, 2014.
Selected from the 388 submissions by emerging and accomplished filmmakers, video artists and animators from 33 countries, the festival features seven programmes of official selections, a special commissioned project, three filmmaker spotlights, a handful of online-only films, and two new programmes that screen across Canada.
TUFF 2014’s guest judge, celebrated Canadian filmmaker Guy Maddin (My Winnipeg, The Saddest Music in the World) will select the top three films of the festival, as well as the winner of the City of Toronto’s Award for Emerging Filmmakers. All awards will be presented at the TUFF Gala on Sunday, September 14th.
TUFF 2014 TORONTO LINE-UP
- Eleven days of programming in the TTC including seven days of exceptional official selections playing every 10 minutes on PATTISON Onestop screens in subway stations across Toronto.
- Artist Spotlight programming has expanded to include three filmmakers: Wrik Mead (Toronto, Canada); Maarit Suomi‐Väänänen (Helsinki, Finland); and David Gabriël Djindjikhachvili (Amsterdam, Holland).
- Guest Artist commissioning project – The Dialogues by Public Studio. Screening in the TTC on September 12th and above ground on PATTISON Outdoor’s giant video billboard (Yonge St., one block north of Dundas Square) from September 8th to 14th.
- Your Underground Cinema – all platform screens at St. Andrew subway station exclusively feature TUFF without interruption from news and ads for the entire festival.
- The Screening Room is returning to Room 222 of the Drake Hotel. Enjoy 90 minutes of back-to-back TUFF from September 10th to September 13th. Admission is free.
TUFF 2014 ACROSS CANADA
- TUFF Local Stories features six brilliant films representing six provinces; playing every five minutes on screens in 40 shopping malls across Canada. For locations: http://www.torontourbanfilmfestival.com
- TUFF Travel Stories present 5 films that engage the concept of travel, playing every ten minutes on screens at the Calgary International Airport.
Plus – Too TUFF for the TTC returns with more films then ever. This online-only program boasts five great films that are unfortunately not appropriate for screening in a public setting. http://www.torontourbanfilmfestival.com
Viewers’ Choice Award – All TUFF films can be seen online, and viewers are encouraged to cast their votes from September 3rd to 11th. http://www.torontourbanfilmfestival.com.
Download hi-res images: http://www.torontourbanfilmfestival.com/press
For more information including highlight films for preview, broadcast and embedding:
Marie Nazar, Arts Publicist, PATTISON Onestop – Tel: 416-762-7702 | E-mail: email@example.com